The iPhone and iPad are something of a revelation for guitarists and there are already some great apps available with an incredible range of diverse features. Nowadays both guitar and amp manufacturers are keen to market their brands through mobile apps and many have already pushed the boundaries of what can be achieved on Apple’s innovative platform. As a result guitarists now have a diverse choice for both learning the guitar and playing through iPhone and iPad specific audio interfaces that provide some superb amp modelling. Check out our list of some of the best iPhone/iPad apps available today.
Garage Band by Apple
Apple obviously saw the iPad’s potential for musiciansÂ and guitarists in particular which is probably why they bundled the new iPad 2 with Garage Band. Garage Band allows you to strum chords on acoustic and electric guitars, trigger fingerpicking and strumming patterns, or tap out your own riffs and melodies. Songs can be mixed and arranged anywhere inspiration strikes using a powerful eight-track recording studio that can handle any combination of audio recordings, touch instruments, and loops. Guitarists can choose from ten stompbox effects including distortion, echo, and chorus.
Finally GarageBand makes it easy to email your song from your iPad, or export and add your song to your iTunes library. You can even send a project to your Mac and open it in GarageBand to keep refining your song.
You can find our more via Apple’s website.
Apogee JAM Guitar Input
With Apogee’s JAM, you can plug your guitar directly into your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, or Mac and experience studio quality sound with incredible ease of use. The Apogee JAM guitar input is recommended by Apple (although there are several other high quality audio interfaces available) and features;
- 1/4-in. instrument input for electric guitar or bass
- Best guitar tone in an extremely portable format
- Control knob for easy input level adjustment
- Plug in and play
- Made for GarageBand on iOS devices or with any Core Audio application on Mac
You can find out more via the Apple store:
Amplitude IK Multimedia iRig – Audio Interface Adapater
AmpliTube iRig is a combination of an easy-to-use instrument interface adapter and guitar and bass tone mobile software.
With AmpliTube iRig, you can plug your guitar into your iPhone/iPod touch/iPad and jam anywhere with world class guitar and bass tones. Simply plug the iRig interface into your mobile device, plug your instrument into the appropriate input jack, plug in your headphones, amp or powered speakers. Add amps and effects as you need them â€” you can expand your rig with up to 11 stomps, 5 amps, 5 cabinets and 2 microphones in the AmpliTube iRig app custom shop.
Furthermore you can download AmpliTube’s FREE version for iPhone or for iPad via the iTunes store.
Read more about AmpliTube for iPad
PROGRESSION – Guitar TAB Editor for iPad
Progression is a guitar tab editor for the iPad that allows guitarists to easily create guitar tabs. The ‘Free’ version of Progression gives you the ability to write, edit, and playback guitar tablature using real audio samples. It sports a user fiendly interface and simple interactive entry fretboard which gives even the inexperienced guitarist an abundance of guitar functions, including but not limited to: vibrato, slides, string bending, hammer-ons, pull-offs, trills, whammy-bar methods and more.
Check out more on the website: www.notionmusic.com
Rock Prodigy is hard to explain but is like a â€œliveâ€ guitar tab that listens to your guitar playing. You basically score points when you hit the correct notes. You can use your own guitar (acoustic or electric) and as long as you are in tune, the app will pick up your playing. Unlike other apps you can even use the built in microphone.
This is a really clever app and whether your a beginner or advanced guitarist looking to master the trickiest riffs note-for-note, this is going to provide both a great learning experience and a lot of fun.
The Rock Prodigy store has loads of songs from artists like Deep Purple, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Smashing Pumpkins, Keith Urban, Megadeth which you can also purchase individually.
Rock Prodigy demonstration video.
You can check out more via the Rock Prodigy website: www.rockprodigy.com
Gibson’s Learn & Master Guitar App
Gibson were the first big name to produce a high quality app. In conjunction with Legacy Learning Systems they produced an app for guitarits that not only provided some great guitar lessons but also featured a professional quality guitar tuner and metronome. A list of all the features is included below.
- A professional quality Chromatic Tuner that will allow you to tune any instrument using the iPhone microphone (or iPod Touch with microphone attachment)
- Alternate Tuning settings so you can quickly and easily tune your guitar to various alternate tunings, including Open G, Low C, Drop D, Eb and others.
- A Standard Mode Tuner that allows you to tune each string to a sample tone
- An accurate Metronome with multiple time signatures, visual and audio options, and a set-your-own tempo tap pad
- A Chord Library with a sample of the essential chords for every player beginner to advanced
- Free Videos Lessons from the Award Winning Learn & Master Guitar course.
For more details visit the www.learnandmaster.com website.
ESP Experience iPhone App
ESP Guitars followed hot on the heels of Gibson and released a very nice iPhone app. The ‘ESP Experience’ app isn’t free like Gibson’s app ( it correctly costs Â£0.59Â from the iTunes app store) however is does feature some pretty cool stuff including;
- A professional chromatic tuner for guitar and bass.
- Exclusive and frequently updated ESP content including ESP artist interviews, ESP event coverage, free music downloads from ESP artists, tech tips from ESP’s head of guitar and bass design, a complete dealer locator, and more.
- An ESP Artist section with videos, lessons, and more.
- A full catalog of ESP and LTD guitars and basses.
Peavey have really done their homework on this app and have raised the bar for the iPhone platform. AmpKit LiNK is an iPhone, iPod touch and iPad interface for electric guitar, bass with an output that can be connected to headphones, powered speakers or a PA. Unlike unpowered guitar interfaces that suffer from feedback when using headphones, AmpKit Link is a powered device with circuitry that virtually eliminates feedback. AmpKit Link is also the first guitar interface that was specifically designed to provide solutions for the iPhone platform.
The AmpKit LiNK guitar interface is available from the Peavey online store as well as from dealers, distributors and retail storesÂ worldwide for $29.99.
AmpKit LiNK Specs:
- Connects to iPhone/iPad/iPod touch via 1/8-inch cable, automatically detected by iOS
- 1/4-inch mono input jack for electric guitar, bass, and line level signal sources
- 1/8-inch stereo output jack for connecting headphones, powered speaker, or PA system
- Works with most recording, processing and tuning apps, including GuitarToolkit
For more details check out www.peavey.com.